The Director for Lab Business Engineering is responsible for leading and managing testing and certification of L2/L3 protocols and outdoor wireless networks to support services and customers across Mediacom network.
Qualified candidate will work closely with Design, Service Engineering, Sales and Operations teams to provide detailed engineering, operational support and consultation and have the following key responsibilities
*Lead and deliver technical solutions to transfer knowledge and information to other teams to ensure the success of new deployments, reliability, and expansion of the network
* Deliver technical solutions to other teams to ensure reliability and expansion of the network
• Organize and follow up review of test plans and documents with architect, test plans and results
• Generate written engineering documents to support new deployments reducing implementation errors and ensuring deployment success
• Complete engineering tasks for all assigned projects and work closely with operations and sales engineering to provide operational and technical support
• Maintain lab project spending to budget on assigned business
• Determines test and configurations to be used in the production environment for platforms across multiple vendors
• Design plans that meet forecasted demand that promotes scale, reliability, and efficacy of the network.
• Participate in new product introduction project, including testing and documentation activities
• Provide informational guidance and support to the new team members as well as detailed engineering support and consultation to other teams SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead the design and test Ethernet and IP networks (Ethernet over Fiber, Ethernet over PON, Ethernet over Coaxial, MPLS & MPLS-T Technologies)
• Knowledge of Layer 2 network design and standards, including Ethernet WAN technologies, MEF services (ELINE, ELAN, E-Tree, E-Access, EVPN), IEEE standards 802.1ad QnQ, 802.1q VLAN tagging, Ethernet OAM 802.3ah and 802.1ag.
• Experience with routing protocols BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, and RIP.
• Implementing a resilient network with redundancy and rapid fail over using MPLS, LACP, G8032
• Implementing security - protection against flooding, denial of service, etc.
• Traffic management and optimization - traffic shaping, classification, policing, queuing, scheduling
• Network Management, performance measurement, fault management, access security.
• Generate and implement Engineering Design Documentation for new network builds or augmentations. Includes engineering of all aspects of Layer 2 thru Layer 4 IP services delivery
• Perform network maintenance, diagnostics work and provide technical support to cross-organizational teams and engineering associates
• Develop, provide, and maintain positive communication with vendors for diagnosing and rectifying problems and candidate possesses strong inter-personal communication skills
• Follow up with the other teams to make sure issues are resolved
• Ability to work well under pressure, meeting multiple deadlines • Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to assimilate, analyze and correlate large amounts of forensic data from various network, operating system, application, and security devices, logs, and alerts.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE / SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer science is required. Master’s degree is a plus.
• 5+ years’ experience on network engineering and/or related technical roles architecture and technology planning for Ethernet and/or IP networks in carrier and enterprise service provider environment.
• Experience and strong understanding of network design and architecture for IP/MPLS network , as well as layer 2 and layer 3 switching and routing protocols: OSPF, BGP, LDP, RSVP, MPLS, QoS , Multicast, Ethernet technologies: VLANS, IEEE 801.1Q, QinQ, HSRP, ERPS carrier ethernet, OAM, CFM, Y.1731.
• Ability to deliver stable and reliable result when working on engineering lab certifications
• Multi Vendor platform expertise. Spirent and testing experience are additional advantage
• Candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as in a team
• Relevant work experience, including field work, experience in POP, carrier hotels is a plus
• Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to clearly articulate findings
• Ability to learn new technologies, troubleshoot IP and Ethernet services networks
• CCNP required
• MEF CECP certification is a plus
• Layer 2 and knowledge of MEF standards Highly desirable